Monday, January 12, 2009

Bloggers in Gaza

I have been tracking live-bloggers inside Gaza. Their posts make for remarkable reading.

Saturday Rafah Kid posted a video of Gaza residents working to restore their bombed-out neighborhood. There's something Zen about the clip. Watching it I feel as if I was standing there on Abu Jamil Street in the early hours of the morning, contemplating the devastation with my own eyes:




Another live-blogger based in Gaza is Eva Bartlett, a medic who is part of the International Solidarity Movement. The photo (right) shows Bartlett arriving in Gaza. On her blog In Gaza Bartlett described a recent discussion she had with a young man near the site of the bombed Fakoura UN school:
Nidal, a PRCS medic, told how he was at the Fakoura school when it was shelled. His aunt and uncle living nearby, he’d been visiting friends at the school. “I was there, talking with friends, only a little away from where 2 of the missiles hit. The people standing between me and the missiles were like a shield. They were shredded. About twenty of them,” he said.
Bartlett explains that Nidal had not only lost family members to the ongoing conflict, but the fingers of one hand. When a child he had picked up an Israeli "sound bomb" and it had gone off while he was holding it.

Osama, a fellow medic known to Bartlett, was eyewitness to the aftermath of the destruction of the UN school. Bartlett blogs:
Osama gave his testimony as a medic at the scene after the multiple missile shelling. “When we arrived, I saw dead bodies everywhere. More than 30. Dead children, grandparents…Pieces of flesh all over. And blood. It was very crowded, and difficult to carry out the injured and martyred. There were also animals dead among the humans. I helped carry 15 dead. I had to change my clothes 3 times. These people thought they were safe in the UN school, but the Israeli army killed them, in cold blood,” he said.
At ThereLive.com I have compiled links to all the best eyewitness bloggers' reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because all comments on this blog are moderated, there will be some delay before your comment is approved.