CNN reports: "Gunmen have targeted seven locations in south Mumbai, including two luxury hotels. A local government official says at least 78 people have been killed. One police official said his force was still engaged in a gunfight at the hotels. Hostages are being held, police told CNN-IBN."
But Tweeter, not CNN is leading the coverage. First some blog reports coming in from Mumbai:
- MB blog reports that "Reports are coming in that a lot of American and British tourists are being held hostage at the Oberoi Hotel. Other reports point to similar situation at the Taj Hotel."
- MB also reports, "Hostages are lobbing grenades out of the windows at both the Taj and Oberoi as reported by bystanders."
List of targets from the Times of India (via MB):
The attack locations so far are
|Location||Type of Attack|
|Leopold Cafe, Colaba||Shooting|
|Hotel Taj Intercontinental||Shooting and explosions|
|Hotel Trident (Oberoi)||Shooting and explosions|
|Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus||Shooting|
|Vile Parle suburb, North Mumbai||Explosion|
There is lot of talk on the blogosphere about how useful Twitter has been in getting out reports.
OK I'm signing off on this post now. It's now 03:15 in Mumbai and 16:45 in NY City.Significant tweets:studioonedj: The #mumbai is a new level of citizens breaking news. Those watching the feed are watching history.
vlkun: is amazed at how much more effective twitter and flickr are than CNN or the mainstream news about the attacks.
- shriansh: Times of india: 80 dead, 900 (yes, 900) dead in #mumbai terror attack. http://lin.cr/bg9 thanks @vijaykillu
- arunnr: Feels like shooting all the Indian Press for the way they are hindering relief workers in Mumbai!
- maharana: RT @Asfaq: #mumbai NDTV reporting that all Taj Hotel guests have come out safely to Regal cinema
- thepete: r/t @BreakingNewsOn Unknown group "Deccan Mujahideen" is claiming responsibility for the attacks in Mumbai
- aeropolowoman: RT asteris: RT @BreakingNewz PLEASE RETWEET #Mumbai Blood needed at JJ Hospital
- retweet @shonali : IBN reporting another huge, high intensity blast from inside the Oberoi #mumbai. This is after the cops went in.
Update: there is a Wikipedia page for the attacks set up here.