Saturday, August 30, 2008

How successful was the Obama speech?

Was the speech a success? The answer hit me when I happened to glance at this story headline:
GOP: Don't believe the hype, Obama not ready
When I saw that headline I snickered. Having watched Obama speak, this post-convention GOP talking-point came across as absurd. That's how effectively I think Obama made his case in Denver. Obama laid the groundwork for how the country should interpret John McCain campaign tactics: listen to how funny they sound! Obama had said:

I know there are those who dismiss such beliefs as happy talk. They claim that our insistence on something larger, something firmer and more honest in our public life is just a Trojan Horse for higher taxes and the abandonment of traditional values. And that's to be expected. Because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare the voters. If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from.

You make a big election about small things. [. . .]

But I stand before you tonight because all across America something is stirring. What the nay-sayers don't understand is that this election has never been about me. It's been about you.

The DNC left me with the sense that by having defeated Hillary Clinton in a very hard-fought race, having reconciled with her, and finally to having orchestrated a wildly succesful convention -- characterized by one compelling speech after another-- the Obama candidacy is -- far and away -- the safer bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because all comments on this blog are moderated, there will be some delay before your comment is approved.